1. To begin my research process, I googled a bunch of articles on my topic to make sure It wasn't going to bore me enough that I would be tempted to switch topics. Sure enough, it seemed as though it was moderately interesting, and I decided I would have enough information to support my stance on the topic. I then used databases to try to get away from the sensationalism and often unsupported bias of major news websites.
2. I chose a somewhat difficult argument for my paper because knowing people who were affected by the problems I was elaborating on, I absolutely had some personal bias in the issue. My bias was actually against the side I was arguing for. I usually argue against my first impression for scholastic papers because not only do I feel that I can support any argument successfully, but I also feel my counter-argument is strengthened through this process.
3. I wrote the majority of the paper the night before it was due. I wouldn't attribute this to being lazy, but rather to the time constraints I had for getting my research done. I spent probably about 10 hours glued to my computer writing it, only leaving my seat to go to the bathroom or to buy more coke. Coke is a great cram-session drink because it has a lot of caffeine and sugar, and it helps to remind me that I''m still a young even though I'm tackling such important issues in the world (ha). I tried to make my paper become more and more fact-oriented overtime, starting with the manifesto and ending with the research pages. Overall I was fairly happy with the result of the composition of my paper for a first draft, but my vocabulary needs work and I lacked enthusiasm that would've helped me be more efficient while writing.
4. There were many spelling mistakes in my paper. I did a horrendous job proof-reading. I realized that more factual evidence would have the initial parts of my research paper feel less dull and discursive. Probably most important was the addition of citations to my paper. It was a long strenuous task that was one of the least enjoyable things I've had to do over the course of my entire educational history. Most of my revisions to the body of my paper was better phrasing of statements and facts, and being more formal.
5. I messed up a multitude of times, but nothing compares to my disorganized gathering of information. While this had relatively no outcome on the draft of my paper, when I had to create in-text citations for the final draft, it was extremely bothersome. I needed to re-read all of my documents to find where I got the information from, and spent a great deal of time formatting the citations correctly. My research could have been better; it was extremely difficult to find many exact numbers on the amount of children who are trafficked due to international adoption. However, even a few reliable estimates would have made a huge difference for my argument's credibility.
6. I want to retain the general skill of arguing more effectively. I don't even like arguing, but arguing successfully is necessary across all disciplines of life, unfortunately. I don't know too many specific skills that I used for this project, but I want to retain the insight to organize my facts better for my future papers to my research more accessible to myself.
No comments:
Post a Comment