Friday, November 7, 2014

Response to Rodriguez article

   I didn't really enjoy reading this article. I thought the structure was inconsistant, and the autheor makes some statements tht are either irrelevant or unjustsified. The story makes off transitions between narrative and history telling. Most of thes details he includes don't really help the arguemnt that much in my opinion. 
   The biggest thing I didn't enjoy reading was the description of Silicon Valley workers being simply just an inconvenient group of poeple who are threatening the ability to be proud of one's body. There aren't many specific examples or facts, and I get the feeling that the author is simply picking a bone with a generation/demographic that is just really foreign to him. The fact that many suburbs of California are filled with intelligent, wealthy, young people isn't so bad. Additionally, these poeple are in positions of high technical skill, and they're usually not simply wealthy just by inheritance.
   I under stand the author was trying to use the narrative part of the story to give some real-world details into the story, but they aren't implemented well and don't add enough to the article to be effective. The writing overall just left me a little dissattisfied as though I had wasted some time reading information that wasn't really that connected to the are of focus.


No comments:

Post a Comment